Thursday, June 27, 2013

Goodbye Lecavalier... Just not for long, k?

For those of you who know me, you know today is a hard day. 

I've been a fan of the Tampa Bay Lightning since the mid 90s. What was I 8?? I remember the good times and the bad. When I was about 10 or 11 there was a handsome 18 year old French Canadian that arrived in Tampa Bay. His name was Vincent Lecavalier. Boy... Was he cute. Forget the Backstreet Boys and Hanson. Move over Jonathan Taylor Thomas. This kid is cute and he plays hockey. Ok, so I may or may not have been quite that dramatic. 

As I grew up.. So did Vinny. I've met him a dozen times or so. He always managed to remember my name. Or at least that's the way I remember it. He was just as cute in person. I think I came up to his hip. Lol! He was so tall, handsome and sweet. 

And yes, I do know he played some good hockey. He was awesome. Pass after pass and goal after goal. He just brought this young life to the Bolts. And we all remember when Vinny fought Jerome Iginla and when the Bolts won the Cup. It was a magical moment for Lightning fans. Many thought that day would never come. 

Vinny meant a lot to me, still does. I wear his signed jersey proudly and always will. Vinny was a class act. The things he did for Tampa Bay will never be forgotten. Check out this article : http://www.tampabay.com/sports/hockey/lightning/lecavalier-touches-tampa-bay-in-lasting-way/212894

You don't find athletes like Vinny in every sport or every team. He's a good person. Tampa will never forget that. 

We all know he doesn't want to leave Tampa. He never did and that's why he's in the situation he's in. It's quite sad. I wish him nothing but the best. But, I do selfishly want him to stay. I can't picture him in another teams sweater. Can anyone?

I really thought he would retire in Tampa. I really did. #4 deserves to be hung up in the rafters and retired. No one can fill those shoes. 

Being a sports lover is hard. Believing in your team isn't always easy. Today-- it's like I'm losing a best friend. Does that sound weird?? Ok, I just re-read it and it does LOL!

But, thanks VL4. Thanks for giving your heart to us. Please keep helping those kids with cancer. They need you. 

Love-- your #1 fan! (Cliche I know :))

No comments:

Post a Comment